Thursday 4 April 2013

The Traditional Mexican Female




Cooking is considered a gifted talent for housewife’s in the Mexican culture. Cooking for the family, for family gatherings, or celebrations is considered to be a woman's main role.

I write in present tense although it is not necessarily like this anymore because cooking in Mexico means bringing a family together at the dinner table. Family is very important to Mexicans and there is no better way to unite a family than through a family meal, a meal that identifies the identity of a people.  The female is seen as the ideal individual to accomplish this because she is viewed as the creative one, the loving one, and the motherly figure.

As I mentioned above, the role of women has evolved. Beginning in the 1970’s, the role of women changed dramatically. She became an active participant in the work force and it became more acceptable for her to pursue a career. However, marriage or childbirth typically resulted in her returning to a domestic life. By the 1980s, females were actively encouraged to return to the work force in order to help supplement to her husband’s income. Consequently, changes in social attitudes meant men and women ought to share childcare and housekeeping responsibilities.  Nonetheless, the women’s role depended on a family’s income or educational level. For example, low income or minimally educated families continued to see household tasks as a female role.

My mom obtained a minimal education. Her contribution to our household is seen as "femininity" worth being prideful for. I have obtained a great education. I love food. I love family gatherings. I love my culture, and I love sharing about it with the world through food, but I do not agree with the idea that the female ought to be entirely responsible for the household tasks, like cooking. Yet, I understand that food for Mexicans is about uniting families. I respect that. I just wish we received the same respect as mothers, females, and as individuals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment