Thursday 4 April 2013

“The Problem That Has No Name”





The Feminine Mystique is about “the problem that has no name” or about the unhappiness of women that was widespread in the 1950’s and early 1960’s, in America. It basically discusses the life of housewife’s who were unhappy despite being married, having children, and living in material comfort.

Today, I often wonder if my mom ever asks or asked herself this question that Friedan explores: Is this all?

My mom raised, fed, and cooked for seven children since she was married at the age of twenty one and beyond. Technically, my mom has all she needs to be happy. She has a nice kitchen, nice clothes, and my father does not force her to work long hours or to even contribute to the family expenses. He likes to come home to a nice hot meal after a long day at work. But, my mom on the other hand, loves to work because she says, “It gives me a break from the kitchen.”

I know my mom loves us. She never explicitly complains about having to cook two meals every day, seven days a week. She is always the last one to eat. She never leaves the house unless it is clean, but I wonder, I wonder, if she ever ask herself: Is this all?

My dad, most of my brothers, most of my Hispanic family would applaud my mom’s “femininity,"
 but not me. I tell my mom to take a break every now and then, to spend less time in the kitchen. Instead, she treats me with yummy Guacamole. 


Guacamole Recipe




*Serves 8
Ingredients:

  1. 3 large ripe avocados
  2. 1 small onion, chopped
  3. 1 medium ripe tomato, chopped
  4. 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped 
  5. jalapeno, chopped 
  6. 1/2 tablespoon salt
  7. 1/2 tablespoon lime (optional) 
Directions: 
  1. Placed chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno in a large bowl
  2. add the salt 
  3. scoop out the "meat" of the three avocados 
  4. squirt lime juice 
  5. mash the ingredient to a creamy, yet chunky consistency. Stir gently to mix flavors. 

  • ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment